* The Clarinda Community Pre-School is currently taking registration applications for the 2017-18 school year.
* West Central Community Action Head Start is now accepting pre-school applications for the 2017-18 school year. For more information call 800-698-5886 or complete an interest survey online at www.westcentralca.org
* The Montgomery County Family YMCA aquatic classes and the Y fitness classed are now FREE for members. Join up and try the following classes: Early Riser Boot Camp, Express Pump, Yoga, Chair Yoga, Aquacise, and Lifestyle Splash. For more information call 712-623-2161, visit the Y on Fasebook or the Y's website at www.mcymca.com.
* VOLUNTEERS NEEDED......At the Montgomery County Family YMCA for the Walking School Bus Program on Wednesday afternoons. You would need to be at the chosen school at 1:0 5pm. and walk the students to the Y. If you want to stay at the Y and help with activities that would be appreciated. If you are interested in volunteering or have questions, contact John Blomstedt at the YMCA 712-623-2161.
* DEADLINE.....to get your flag turned in to the Montgomery County Court of Honor to be dedicated at the Memorial Day Service in Red Oak is Tuesday, May 16th. You may take the flag to either Nelson Boylan LeRette Funeral Home or Sellergren Lindell DeMarce Funeral Home.
* Montgomery County Family YMCA Spring/Summer hours May 1, 2017 to September 24, 2017. Monday - Friday 5am to 8pm. Saturday 8am to 1pm. Sunday...MEMBERS ONLY 2-5pm (Pool not open on Sunday) Facility Hours do not reflect pool hours. YMCA closed on Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day and Cleaning Week August 7-13th.
* PORTRAIT FUNDRAISER at the Montgomery County Family YMCA. Purchase a $10 coupon which gives you a sitting and a 10 x 13 full color print. This year's photograph style is more formal and modern. Photo shoot on May 19th and 20th at the YMCA. Contact Missy Stickland at the YMCA 623-2161.
* Day Camps for youth in Montgomery County this summer. Each day camp will be offered twice. $20 per camp. Registration includes snacks, supplies & insurance. Youth are responsible for bringing a lunch. Pollinate My World -June 6 and 8 from 9am to 3pm for youth who have completed Kindergarten and 1st grade. Animal Detective June 13-15 from 9am to 3pm for youth who have completed 2nd & 3rd grade. Outdoor Day Camp June 21 and June 22 from 9am to 3pm for youth who have completed 4th through 6th grade. To register please attend one of the 2 Registration Days Wednesday May 3 from noon to 8pm at the ISU Extension office in Red Oak or Wednesday May 10 from Noon to 8pm at Anderson Conservation. For more information call 712-623-2592.
* Nominations are being accepted for Red Oak High School Hall-of-Fame. To nominate a former Tiger athlete or coach a typed nomination letter & resume must be received by May 23, 2017 addressed to the Hall-of-Fame Nomination Committee/Barry Bower, Red Oak High School. To be eligible an athlete must have graduated from Red Oak High School 10 or more years ago, earned awards such as All-State, All Southwest Iowa, and All-Conference, etc. plus be of good character. Coaches that are nominated must be retired. 623-6610.
* Office Professional Luncheon 12:00 Noon at the Faith Covenant Church in Essex. Cost is $12 per person. Hosted by the Essex Community Club. Menu will be Mozzarella Tomato Chicken Tortellini, Grilled Asparagus with bacon & walnuts, lettuce greens and Lemon Cake prepared by Faith Covenant Church & served by culinary students at Essex High School. Please call, text, or email your reservation by April 21 to Melissa Chambers Melissa@essexiowa.com 712-370-2496
* STANTON's Kindergarten assessments for any child who will be five years of age on or before September 15 from 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm in the kindergarten classroom at Stanton Elementary. Call Jody at 829-2171 as soon as possible to sign up your child. If you child will begin kindergarten this fall and does not currently attend the local pre-school, please call the above number prior to April 25th.
* Volunteer Appreciation Reception at the Good Samaritan Society Red Oak Dining Room 2:00 pm. Questions call 712-623-6270.
* DEADLINE to sign up for 1st-2nd Boys Baseball Program at the Montgomery County Family YMCA. Contact Brian Couse 712-621-0812
*Free-Will Donation SOUP SUPPER to benefit the Shenandoah Community Food Pantry from 6-8 pm at the Armory Community Center in Shenandoah (423 W. Thomas) sponsored by the Page County Democrats.
* American Red Cross Blood Drive at the East Mills High School 10am to 4pm.
* Arbor Day Celebration at 10am at the Clarinda Kiwanis Park (SW part of Clarinda). Two trees will be planted in recognition of 2 long time Kiwanis Club members who passed away during the past year. A short presentation on proper tree planting and history of Arbor Day will be given by members of the Brokaw FFA Chapter. A representative of the City of Clarinda will read the Arbor Day Proclamation. Sponsored by the Clarinda Trees Forever Committee. For more information call Ron Sanson at 712-303-8222.
* VARFEST 2017 6:30 pm at the Mamrelund Lutheran Church. Dinner will be catered by Cast Iron Café. Conni Delinger will speak about her travels and about being from the Swedish Village of Kingsburg, CA.
* The American Pointing Lab Association is hosting a Hunt Test at Pilot Grove Park between Elliott & Grant starting at 7:30 am. Expect extra traffic along the road and also to hear gun shots throughout the day. The test may go as late as 8:00 pm. You are welcome to come watch. If you do, please wear dark, "natural" colors or camo. If you have questions, please call or text 712-789-9254.
* Montgomery County Democrats Biennial Convention Meeting 10:00 am - Noon at the Red Oak Fire Department. Coffee & Snacks will be provided. Everyone welcome.
* SWINGING FOR HOPE -2017 Relay for Life Golf Tournament 1:00 pm at the American Legion Golf Course in Shenandoah. 4-Person Scramble. $200/team. First 36 teams will be taken. Call 712-246-3308 to sign up0 and reserve your cart. Your entry fee includes: Steak dinner at 5:30 pm, contests and cash prizes, entertainment & auction, luminaria ceremony, and live music.
* Deadline to register for Adult Tennis Clinics at the Montgomery County Family YMCA. Call the YMCA at 623-2161.
* Deadline to register for Youth Tennis Clinics at the Montgomery County Family YMCA. Call the YMCA at 623-2161.
* Mills County Public Health Immunization Clinic 8:30 am to 11:00 am at their office in Glenwood.
* 1st Annual Car Show in conjunction with the Carson City-Wide Garage Sale Day. All vehicles are welcome. No Charge to enter. Cars can start arriving at 10am and the show ill officially start at 12:00 Noon and go until 5:30 pm. The car show will be held on Broadway in Carson. For more information call 515-450-2981
* Emerson Community Club BINGO at the Community Building 7:00 pm
* Red Oak High School COLLEGE FINANCIAL AID PLANNNG high school juniors and their parents at 5:30 pm in the High School Student Union/Media Center. Presented by a representative from the Iowa College Access Network. For information contact John Brabec, ROHS Counselor at 623-6610
* Red Oak PTO SPRING CARNIVAL at Inman Primary School.
* Red Oak PTO FLOWER SALE 9am to Noon at Washington Intermediate School. Rain or Shine. All proceeds are used to help fund sup0plies, activities, and programs at Inman Primary and Washington Intermediate Schools.
* 2nd Annual Art, Rhythm & Brews in Maryville, Missouri. Stages of live music, fabulous local food, regional wines, cold beer, and interactive art surprises. Early bird tickets $25 at Hy Vee, Home by Sonja, City Hall and on line at maryvillepublicart.org/tickets or $30 at the gate. Must be 21 to purchase a ticket.
* Mills County Public Health Immunization Clinic 9:30 am to 11:30 am at their office in Glenwood.
* Emerson Community Club BINGO at the Community Building 7:00 pm.
* Iowans can learn how to "PRESERVE THE TASTE OF SUMMER" during online lessons and hands-on worksho9ps from ISU Extension & Outreach. A Salsa Canning Workshop will be held today at the Gold Fair Building from 4:30 - 8:30 pm. Anyone age 18 or older can learn safe food preservation techniques. You can participate at the home food preserver level or the professional level. The home food preserver registration fee is $35 and covers all 8 online lessons and one hands-on workshop. For more information contact Barb Fuller 712-789-2449 email@example.com Lessons cover overall food safety, canning basics, canning acid foods, pressure canning low-acid foods, preparing, canning pickled & fermented foods, making and preserving fruit spreads, freezing foods, drying foods, etc .
To include your event on the KCSI * KOAK Community Calendar,
Submit information at least 2 weeks prior to the event to:
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org /Mail to: KCSI / P.O. Box 465 / Red Oak, Iowa 51566
Attention all vets, Amvets Post 8 of Southwest Iowa is sponsoring a one day tour to the state capital in Des Moines on Wednesday January 18th. Tours will depart from Red Oak, Shenandoah and Clarinda. Tour includes…..round trip transportation to the program at the capital, dinner at the Machine Shed, a visit to the Iowa Veterans cemetary. For more information or to reserve your spot, call Mac at 712-246-2844. Open to all veterans and spouses.
* Red Oak Kiwanis Club meets every Monday at noon at the Pizza Ranch in Red Oak. Guests always welcome.
* Red Oak Eagles BINGO every Tuesday, early bird at 6:30, regular at 7:00
* Southwest Iowa Caregiver Support Group meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6pm at Westridge Quality Care in Clarinda. Call 712-542-5161 with questions.
* Red Oak Rotary Club meets every Tuesday at noon to 1pm for lunch and program at the Red Coach in Red Oak. Guests always welcome.
*AL-ANON, 12 step program, Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. at Faith Community Church in Red Oak.
* Montgomery County Shooting Sports Club ~ Monthly Meeting ~ 2nd Wednesday of each month, 6:30 pm, Anderson Conservation Building
* Alzheimer's Family Support Group meetings the last Wednesday of every month at 2:00 pm at the Good Samaritan Society in Red Oak (201 Alix Avenue). 712-623-3170 or 712-826-9592 for more information.
* CHRIST'S CUPBOARD COMMUNITY FOOD PANTRY is now open for service.....Open Wednesdays 3pm - 5pm and Thursdays 4pm - 6pm.
* Overeaters Anonymous.......is food a problem for you? Are you suffering from anorexia, bulimia, obesity, and, or compulsive overeating>. Meetings held weekly on Wednesdays from 5-6 pm at the United Methodist Church in Shenandoah (200 Church Street). For more information contact Sara at 712-215-1500.
* Over Eaters Anonymous meets every Thursday at 5:30 pm at the 1st Methodist Church in Red Oak.